These delicious Chicken Cutlets with Mustard Sauce are a super quick-and-easy low-carb chicken dinner that the family will love!
PIN Chicken Cutlets with Mustard Sauce to try them later!
This new recipe for Chicken Cutlets with Mustard Sauce is actually an update for a very old recipe that I made years ago with turkey cutlets. But through the years I started having a hard time finding turkey for this recipe, and when I made the recipe I switched it out for chicken.
And I absolutely loved the recipe with chicken cutlets, so I decided I had to update the recipe on the site with that version. Of course you can still make this with turkey cutlets too if you find those at your store.
I used just a small amount of seasoned almond flour for coating the chicken pieces to make this a low-carb dish, and the almond flour worked well and added flavor. And I just used mayo to thicken the sauce, although you could stir in a little cornstarch if you’re not being quite so strict on carbs. If you like quick-and-easy chicken dinners, you’re going to love this recipe!
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
- chicken cutlet slices
- Almond Flour (affiliate link)
- Poultry Seasoning (affiliate link)
- Szeged Chicken Rub (affiliate link) or any seasoning you like on chicken
- salt to taste (I only used a tiny bit of salt)
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- chicken broth
- Dijon Mustard (affiliate link) or other mustard of your choice
What are chicken cutlets?
If you’re not familiar with chicken cutlets, they are really just boneless, skinless chicken breasts that are sliced in half lengthwise to make two thinner pieces of chicken. In Utah I can find them pre-sliced and labeled as cutlets at my local Smiths Marketplace, and I’m guessing most larger supermarkets will have them. But if you don’t find cutlets in the meat department, they really are easy to slice yourself.
Can you use other types of mustard for this recipe?
I know some people aren’t Dijon mustard fans or don’t have it on hand, but you can use any type of mustard you prefer for this recipe.
Want more easy one-pan chicken recipes?
If you’re a fan of easy chicken recipes that only need one pan, check out Greek Skillet Chicken, Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas, Paprika Chicken, Chicken with Peanut Sauce, or Roasted Lemon Chicken and Green Beans Sheet Pan Meal.
How to Make Chicken Cutlets with Mustard Sauce:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe with nutritional information.)
- I bought chicken cutlets, but if you can’t find them, just use thinly sliced chicken breasts that are cut lengthwise to make two thin pieces.
- Mix the almond flour, poultry seasoning, Szeged Chicken Rub or other chicken seasoning, salt, and pepper in a dish that will easily hold the cutlets.
- Then dip each cutlet in almond flour mixture and on both sides. I made a very thin coating on the cutlets.
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a heavy frying pan big enough to hold the chicken.
- Add the chicken cutlets to the pan. Watch carefully cook until they’re barely starting to look done on the edges, about 2-3 minutes.
- Then turn and cook an additional 2-3 minutes, or until they feel firm (but no hard) when you press on the meat with your finger.
- I used an Instant Read Meat Thermometer (affiliate link) to be sure the chicken had reached the safe cooking temperature of 165F/75C.
- Remove chicken to a plate and cover with foil to keep it warm.
- Add chicken stock to the pan and cook about 2 minutes, scraping off the browned bits with a turner.
- Whisk together the mayo and Dijon mustard, then add it to the pan.
- Lower the heat and whisk to get the sauce ingredients all combined. (If you’re not that experienced making pan sauces, using a whisk is crucial.)
- Cook sauce, whisking the whole time until the mixture is reduced by 1/3, about 2-3 minutes more.
- Serve sauce over chicken pieces and enjoy!
Make it a Low-Carb Meal:
These tasty chicken cutlets would make a great low-carb meal served with Spinach Salad with Bacon and Feta, Roasted Turnips, Stir-Fried Spinach with Garlic and Parmesan, Cucumber Salad with Parsley and Feta, or Parmesan Encrusted Zucchini.
Want more Low-Carb Chicken Dinners?
You can check out Keto Chicken Breast Recipes or Keto Grilled Chicken Recipes for more low-carb dinner ideas with chicken!
- 4 chicken cutlet slices
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp. poultry seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. Szeged Chicken Rub (see notes)
- 1/4 tsp. salt (or to taste, but I only used a tiny bit of salt)
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- 2 T butter
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 T Dijon mustard
- 2 T mayo
- Combine almond flour, poultry seasoning, chicken rub, salt, and pepper in flat dish.
- Dredge all chicken cutlet pieces in almond flour mixture and set aside.
- Heat heavy frying pan big enough to hold all the pieces in one layer, add butter, and melt over medium heat.
- Add chicken cutlets and watch until they barely start to brown on the edges, about 2-3 minutes, then turn and cook for about 2-3 minutes longer on the other side.
- The chicken is done when it feels firm (but not hard) to the touch. If you have an Instant Read Meat Thermometer, cook chicken to 165F/75C.
- Remove chicken to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Deglaze the pan with chicken stock, stirring well to get browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Whisk together Dijon and mayo, then whisk that into the liquid in the pan.
- Cook sauce, whisking the whole time, until it is reduced by about 1/3, about 2-3 minutes.
- Pour sauce over chicken and serve immediately.
If you don’t have Szeged Chicken Rub (affiliate link) just use your favorite all purpose seasoning that tastes good on poultry.
Recipe created by Kalyn.
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 293Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 104mgSodium: 615mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 34g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Chicken Cutlets with Mustard Sauce would be suitable for low-carb or Keto diet plans, and also for any phase of the original South Beach Diet.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Chicken Recipes or Quick and Easy Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Facebook, on Instagram, or on YouTube to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
Historical Notes for this Recipe:
This recipe was first made with turkey cutlets in the very early days of my blog. Through the years I couldn’t always find the turkey and enjoyed the recipe with chicken, so in 2022 I updated the recipe with greatly improved photos to show it with chicken cutlets.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.