For this amazing recipe for Instant Pot Green Beans with Bacon and Gorgonzola, the green beans only need one minute of time under pressure. We loved the combination of bacon and Gorgonzola with greens beans; see tips in the post for cooking this without an Instant Pot if you prefer!
PIN Green Beans with Bacon and Gorgonzola to try it later!
If you look at the Green Beans Recipes on my website, it’s obvious I already have quite a few tasty ideas for green beans as a side dish. Not only do I love green beans, but for years I used to grow them in my garden and had plenty of beans to use for recipe experiments. But this recipe for Instant Pot Green Beans with Bacon and Gorgonzola is the first time I’ve tried cooking green beans in the Instant Pot!
It took one completely failed experiment where the beans got way too soft to make Kara and I realize that green beans only need one minute of time cooking under pressure to come out perfectly tender-crisp (the way both Kara and I prefer them.) If you like your beans a bit softer, just set the Instant Pot for two minutes instead. But I hope you try this recipe and discover just how completely easy Instant Pot Green Beans can be!
And this recipe has so much going for it, especially the technique of cooking the bacon in the Instant Pot and leaving some of the bacon fat to first cook the onion and then flavor the green beans. And bacon and Gorgonzola is a fabulous flavor combination. The second time we tested this I ended up with some leftovers, and devoured them for breakfast the next day!
What ingredients do you need?
(This is only a list of ingredients; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- thick cut bacon
- green beans
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper
- crumbled Gorgonzola Cheese
Can you use frozen green beans for this recipe?
I know someone is going to ask, but although I haven’t tried it I wouldn’t use frozen green beans for this recipe. I this this is the perfect recipe for those lovely two pound packages of green beans you get at Costco. I didn’t use thin French-Style green beans, and if that’s what you have I might reduce the cooking time to zero minutes, where the beans only cook as the Instant Pot is coming to pressure.
How can you make this recipe without an Instant Pot?
If you don’t have an Instant Pot you can make this recipe in a large pan on the stove:
- You will need to cook the bacon first and remove it, leaving 2 tablespoons bacon grease.
- Then cook the finely diced onion in the bacon grease. using medium-high heat.
- Microwave the green beans 1-2 minutes while the onion cooks.
- Add the green beans (and possibly 1-2 tablespoons more bacon grease, depending on your pan.
- Finish cooking beans in the bacon grease, about 2-3 minutes, or until they are just tender-crisp or as done as you prefer.
- (You can see the recipe for Green Beans with Lemon, Parmesan, and Pine Nuts for an example of green beans cooked using a combination of the microwave and stir-frying.)
- When beans are done, put on a platter and top with the crisp bacon and crumbled Gorgonzola.
What other cheese can you use if you don’t like Gorgonzola?
Personally I love Gorgonzola, but I know not everyone does! If you’re not a fan of this pungent blue cheese, I think either Feta Cheese, Cotija Cheese, or Parmesan Cheese would be delicious in this recipe.
Want more ideas for vegetables cooked in the Instant Pit?
What size Instant Pot did I use?
I use a 6 Quart Instant Pot (affiliate link) for all my Instant Pot Recipes. Check out my growing collection of Instant Pot Recipes! You can see lots more Slow Cooker / Instant Pot Recipes on my other site.
How to Make Instant Pot Green Beans with Bacon and Gorgonzola:
(This is only a summary of the steps for the recipe; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- Cut bacon slices into short strips.
- Turn Instant Pot to SAUTE, HIGH HEAT, and cook the bacon until crisp.
- While bacon cooks, chop onion, trim the green beans, and cut beans into short pieces.
- When bacon is done, remove it to a paper towel.
- Leave just 2 tablespoons bacon fat in the Instant Pot.
- Turn Instant Pot to SAUTE, HIGH HEAT, and cook onion until it’s just starting to brown.
- Add green beans to Instant Pot with 3/4 cup chicken broth.
- Lock lid, be sure valve is closed, and set Instant Pot to MANUAL, HIGH, 1 MINUTE.
- Crumble Gorgonzola Cheese while the beans cook.
- When the time ends, quick release pressure.
- Remove lid and season beans with salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- Remove beans and arrange on serving platter.
- Sprinkle beans with bacon and Gorgonzola cheese.
- Serve hot.
More Amazing Ideas for Green Beans:
- 6 slices thick cut bacon
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 pounds fresh green beans (see notes)
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup crumbled Gorgonzola Cheese
- Cut the thick-cut bacon slices into cross-wise strips. (I like to break them apart a bit with my fingers, but that’s not really necessary.
- Turn the Instant Pot to SAUTE, HIGH HEAT, and cook the bacon until it is quite crisp. (This may take 5-10 minutes, don’t rush it.
- While bacon cooks, chop a small onion so it’s finely diced.
- Trim the green beans and cut into pieces about 2 inches long
- When bacon is crisp and well-browned, turn off Instant Pot and remove bacon to a paper towel to drain
- Remove all but 2 tablespoons bacon fat from the Instant Pot
- Turn Instant Pot to SAUTE, HIGH HEAT, and cook the onion until it’s just starting to brown
- Add green beans to the Instant Pot with 3/4 cup chicken broth
- Lock lid, be sure valve is closed, and set Instant Pot to MANUAL, HIGH, 1 MINUTE
- Crumble Gorgonzola Cheese while the beans cook if needed
- When the time ends, quick release the pressure, being careful not to burn yourself on the hot steam
- Remove lid and season beans to taste with salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Remove beans with a slotted spoon and arrange on serving platter
- Sprinkle the beans with bacon and Gorgonzola cheese
- Serve hot
- Every time we tested this I gobbled up the leftovers, so even though the beans are best freshly-made I would say they reheat quite well.
I don’t recommend thin “French-Style” green beans for this recipe. If that’s all you have I would set the Instant Pot to zero minutes cooking time.
This recipe created by Kalyn and Kara, with inspiration from a few other recipes for Instant Pot Green Beans we found online.
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 136Total Fat: 6.8gSaturated Fat: 2.9gUnsaturated Fat: 3.5gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 509mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 4.3gSugar: 5.6gProtein: 8.8g
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This is a good side dish for any low-carb or Low-Glycemic diet, and some people might eat it for Keto. Green beans do have some carb, but they also have fiber. Bacon is not recommended for the original South Beach Diet, and with the high-fat cheese this would be a personal choice for South Beach.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Green Beans Recipes or Instant Pot Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Diet Type Index to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Facebook, on Instagram, on TikTok, or on YouTube to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.