The tender meat-like texture of this black bean burger is packed with incredible flavor. Black beans are blended in a mixture of veggies, flavorful herbs, and panko breadcrumbs to create an amazing meatless burger that will impress anyone!
Meat lovers and vegetarians alike will jump at the chance to enjoy the black bean burger! Add some sides to this, and then you will have a meal to remember! I love corn on the cobb, this yummy salad, and some refreshing lemonade!
What Is a Black Bean Burger?
Did you know that a black bean burger doesn’t just have black beans in it? It’s a patty that’s MADE of black beans! This healthy black bean patty is so insanely delicious that you will forget that you are even eating a meatless, vegetarian burger! It’s a great way to eat a little bit healthier and add some extra protein to your meal. Plus… It’s easy to make!
I am all for a classic hamburger or even a smash burger, but even if you love those, this burger will inspire you to eat healthier on a regular basis! Because this is so easy to whip together, it’s a great alternative to have at any BBQ for all of your friends who may not eat meat. It tastes so good with a little sauce added (In-n-Out Spread is my favorite!). Then, once you load up all of the condiments you will see why everyone loves this!
Black Bean Burger Ingredients
I love that black beans are already a staple in my pantry! I have them all the time, and this is a fantastic recipe to use for them! Check out the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact measurements, and then you will be set!
- Black Beans: Canned black beans are the base of this recipe.
- Olive Oil: Oil helps sauté and soften the vegetables.
- Green Bell Pepper: This adds great texture to the black bean patty.
- White Onion: Onion is a wonderful added flavor to this burger.
- Jalapeños: If you want to add a little kick to your burger, then don’t skip out on these!
- Cilantro: Fresh cilantro is my favorite herb to add to a black bean burger.
- Tomato Paste: This helps bind all the ingredients together and hold their shape.
- Garlic Powder: Garlic is a great flavor to season this burger
- Salt: I like to use salt to enhance the flavor of the burger.
- Cumin: I love using cumin to flavor and season the black beans.
- Flour: A little bit of flour will help hold the burger ingredients together.
- Panko Breadcrumbs: I prefer the crunchy texture of panko breadcrumbs over regular breadcrumbs.
Making Black Bean Burgers
I love how easy these burgers come together in the food processor. I always make black bean burgers for a fast and flavorful meal to feed my family! Because they are so delicious, I’m sure that your family will request them a LOT!
- Prepare Black Beans: Lay the drained black beans on a paper towel to dry.
- Heat Skillet: Heat a medium-sized skillet or grill over medium-high heat.
- Sauté Vegetables: Add olive oil, bell pepper, onion, and jalapeño to the skillet. Then, cook for 5 minutes to soften the vegetables.
- Combine Ingredients: Add the cooked vegetables to a food processor along with the black beans, cilantro, tomato paste, garlic powder, salt, and cumin.
- Mix: Pulse the food processor to mix and combine the ingredients. Leave the mixture slightly chunky.
- Stir in Flour and Panko: Add it to a bowl, and then stir in the flour and Panko breadcrumbs.
- Form Patties: Scoop out a ⅓ cup of the mixture and then form it into a patty.
- Cook Patties: Cook the patties on a skillet or a grill and then cook for 5-7 minutes on each side. Patties will be crispy on the outside and warmed through the middle.
- Assemble: Serve warm on a hamburger bun with your favorite burger toppings. Then you can serve these and watch everyone gobble them up!
Here are some topping ideas that would be delicious for this black bean burger recipe! I love having a lot of toppings for my guests to choose from. Building your own burgers is a great way to make everyone happy!
- Leafy Greens: Romaine, iceberg, spinach, arugula, or even sprouts. My absolute favorite is butter lettuce!
- Vegetables: Tomatoes, red onion, sautéed onions, pickles, sliced bell peppers, sliced cucumbers…the list goes on.
- Fruit: I had to highlight fruit because avocado is considered a fruit! Pineapple rings would also be amazing!
- Condiments and Sauces: I’m a sauce girl! Mayo, mustard, ketchup, barbecue sauce, teriyaki, a burger sauce, whatever sounds good!
- Cheeses: Adding sliced cheese would be delicious on top of your patty! Cheddar, provolone, and pepper jack are our favorite!
- Spice it Up: Try adding pickled jalapeños, red pepper flakes, or banana peppers to your burger. I love adding heat!
These burgers make the best leftovers! I love them for dinner, but the leftovers are also nice to have on hand for lunches throughout the week!
- In the Refrigerator: Place extra patties in an air-tight container and then store them in the refrigerator. They will last for up to 5 days.
- In the Freezer: Put the black bean burger patties between parchment paper and place them in a sealable plastic bag. Thaw in the refrigerator before cooking or cook from frozen. They will last in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- To Reheat: Simply reheat the black bean burger in the microwave for 1-2 minutes or until warmed through. Or, if you want to try it, my favorite way to reheat black bean burgers (or any leftovers!) is in the air fryer! Simply place the chilled or frozen burger in the air fryer at 375 degrees Fahrenheit and then cook for 3 minutes on each side or until warmed through.