These honey lime chicken enchiladas are the best family meal that is simple to make and is full of flavor. The combination of the flavors in this is amazing!
This is a recipe that everyone needs to experience in their life as well as this chicken enchiladas with avocado cream sauce or this skinny chicken enchiladas recipe. The whole family loved these and I know that yours will too!
What are Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas?
These are perfect if you are looking for a sweet savory chicken dish! This is a little twist to the traditional dish with a hint of honey and lime that adds a tasty amount of flavor.
This recipe consists of making a chicken filling that is wrapped and baked in a tortilla topped off with cheese and enchilada sauce. There are many different variations when it comes to enchiladas such as ones’ with red sauce and different toppings. After you try this one, you’ll easily see why it is one of my favorites.
What Do You Need to Make Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas?
This delicious meal incorporates some of the most flavorful ingredients. Surprisingly enough this is still one of those recipes where most of the ingredients are common things to have on hand. Making this dish perfect for weeknight dinners.
Here are the key ingredients you need, and remember as always the exact measurements are included in the full recipe at the very bottom!
- Onion- I like to use sweet onions but if you prefer others you can substitute
Chicken Breasts- the recipe calls for a total of 3 chicken breast halves
Chicken Broth- helps tie everything together and bring out the flavor
Chili Powder- gives that little kick that everyone loves
Garlic- I use about 2-3 cloves and mince them
Salt & Pepper- Of course, to taste!
Honey- adds that bit of sweetness each meal needs
Lime juice and lime- Is the zest that makes all the difference
Flour tortillas- If you prefer corn tortillas you can uses those instead
Monterey jack cheese- I normally use monterey jack but if you have others on hand this is a simple substitution
Green enchilada sauce- Can choose to add more than what’s listed depending on personal preference
Heavy cream- Helps thicken the sauce
How to Make Easy Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas?
- Let me remind you that these are EASY honey lime chicken enchiladas. However, just because they are simple to make it does NOT take away at all from how extremely tasty they are! You will be amazed at how something so delicious does not require much work.
- This will definitely earn a spot on your list of quick go-to recipes.
- Sauté onion in a little butter until it becomes transparent and soft. In a crock pot* add chicken, chicken broth, sauteed onion, chili powder, garlic, and salt & pepper. Cook on low for about 8 hours (or high for 3-4) adding more broth if needed (you don’t want it to cook out completely).
- Remove chicken from crock pot and shred, then return to crock pot and simmer another 5 min. Drain out some of the juices (but not all of it… keep about ¼ c.) and add honey and lime.
- Place seasoned, shredded chicken in a Ziploc bag and seal tightly, pressing out as much air as you can. Marinate at least 30-40 minutes.. longer if you can (I did about an hour).
- While chicken is marinating spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray, then pour about ½ c. of enchilada sauce over the bottom.
- Fill tortillas with chicken mixture and shredded cheese, saving about 1 c. of cheese to sprinkle on top of enchiladas. Mix the remaining enchilada sauce with heavy cream.
- Pour sauce on top of the enchiladas and sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes until brown and crispy on top. Serve hot and top with your favorite enchilada toppings.
What can you serve with honey lime chicken enchiladas?
This dish is delicious enough by itself that anything else you add just makes it even more to die for. Especially when it comes to toppings! There are so many different things you can top them off with. Whether it is black beans, cilantro lime rice, pico de gallo, guacamole, or sour cream, they all will only make these honey lime chicken enchiladas even more mouth watering.
What are Tips and Tricks for Making Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas?
If wanting to speed up this meal’s prep time you can always opt for picking up a rotisserie chicken at the store or using any leftover chicken you may already have. This greatly reduces the amount of preparation making this meal an easy weeknight dinner that you can throw together quickly.
Another great thing about these easy honey lime chicken enchiladas is that they are freezer friendly! They are great for preparing ahead of time and then storing in the freezer for a day you need a quick meal already prepared. Also are a perfect meal for fixing up and sharing with others in need.
Also keep in mind if you don’t have a crock-pot, just boil chicken in the same ingredients in a large pot with a little extra chicken broth until cooked through and can shred.
Here are More Variations of Enchiladas: