These low-carb, keto-friendly cloud bread blinis with smoked salmon and horseradish dill cream are perfect as a healthy appetizer or party finger food. This recipe is gluten-free, and grain-free but does contain dairy.
Two grams of net carbs per serving (4 blinis with a dollop of cream and salmon). You can use this recipe to make larger size cloud flatbreads for a low-carb smoked salmon and cream cheese sandwich.
Cloud Bread Blinis With Smoked Salmon
Have you heard of cloud bread? I first made it for Happy Body Formula website a few years back. It’s such a fun and easy recipe to make and I love the fluffy, light yet slightly bready and pancake-like texture of cloud bread.
It’s great for anyone on a keto or low-carb diet as you can use cloud bread to make little sandwiches or to top it with yummy ingredients like avocado, crispy bacon, and in my case smoked salmon and horseradish and cream cheese sauce.
How To Make Cloud Bread Blinis
Cloud bread is made with whipped egg whites folded into the egg yolk and cream cheese mixture. The bubbles in egg whites give the batter lots of air so the finished product is fluffy and airy but has some structure too.
I thought the cloud bread mixture would work beautifully as little blinis, which I wanted to turn into a low-carb appetizer for dinner guests. And they certainly did! Light, fluffy pillows that you can top with pretty much anything.
You will find the full list of ingredients, detailed instructions, and nutritional breakdown in the recipe card below. Here are a handy video and some step-by-step photos showing you how to make these gluten-free, keto cloud bread blinis and the sauce.
Step 1. Whip 2 large egg whites and whisk two egg yolks and cream cheese as two mixtures.
Step 2. Fold whipped egg whites into the egg yolk mixture in batches. Line a flat baking tray with parchment paper and add teaspoon-sized dollops of the mixture. Make sure to leave some space between as they will expand slightly. Bake for 20 minutes at 150 C/ 300 F.
Step 3. Mix the horseradish, dill, lemon juice and cream cheese into a creamy sauce. You can keep it in the fridge until using.
Step 4. Assemble the blinis with a little cream and smoked salmon on top.
You can pre-make all of the elements ahead of time and assemble the blinis just before serving.
More Delicious Appetizers
Find the full list of ingredients, instructions, and a nutritional breakdown below. If you have questions or cook this recipe, please let me know in the comments, and make sure to rate this recipe so it’s easy for others to find.
Gluten-free, low-carb and keto-friendly, these cloud bread blinis with horseradish dill cream and smoked salmon are great as an appetizer, finger food or a snack. You can make the cloud bread pancakes or flatbreads using the same mixture and enjoy this dish for lunch or breakfast, a little like a smoked salmon bagel without the stodge.
- Preheat the oven to 150 C / 300 F. Place a piece of parchment baking paper on a large flat oven tray (I used two small trays for mine)
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks into two clean bowls.
- Add vinegar or lemon juice and a pinch of salt to egg whites and beat with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Add cream cheese, salt, onion and garlic powder and a pinch of pepper to the yolks and whisk until smooth. You can use electric whisk on the lowest setting as not to overbeat the cream cheese.
- Fold a third of the egg white mixture into the cream cheese and yolk. Once smooth-ish, fold in another third and then again until both mixtures are incorporated. Don’t overmix as we want to keep those air bubbles going.
- Add dollops of the cloud bread mixture onto the baking tray, about a tablespoon per blini. Make sure to leave some space between as they will expand and grow slightly.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden and fluffy.
- In the meantime, mix the horseradish and cream cheese sauce and prepare the salmon. Once cooled, assemble the blinis with a dollop of cream sauce and salmon on top or you can serve it as a ‘make-your-own’ buffet-style smoked salmon blinis.
Make-ahead tip: You can pre-make all of the elements ahead of time and assemble the blinis just before serving.
- Serving Size: 4 blini with a dollop of sauce and smoked salmon
- Calories: 155
- Sugar: 0.9 g
- Sodium: 196.9 mg
- Fat: 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 2.2 g
- Fiber: 0.2 g
- Protein: 13.6 g
- Cholesterol: 107.2 mg
Keywords: Keto, Low-Carb, Finger Food
More Keto & Low-Carb Recipes
Save These Cloud Bread Blinis To Pinterest